Dating herefordshire

Rated 3.82/5 based on 786 customer reviews

Lyonshall was listed under the name Lenehalle the Domesday Book of 1086. Also making an appearance in Domesday Book are the adjacent parishes of Kington, Titley and Rushock, all described as non-tax paying waste lands.To the east of Lyonshall lies Pembridge, which, like Lyonshall, is described as a reasonable sized manor.John Devereux is a direct descendant of Baron William Devereux through his son, Walter Devereux of Bodenham.In 1384 de Burley grants the castle to John Devereux with interests to John's cousin, another Walter Devereux of Bodenham (1 fee), and Kennard de la Bere, John Clanvowe, and Roger Berden among others.

Introduced to court at a young age, he went to sea at the age of 14 to fight the Spanish, and he was a soldier until his capture by the French at Poitou in 1369.

He was a court tutor, and his former pupil, Richard II, made him Governor of Windsor and Llanstephan, Master of Falconry and Keeper of the Royal Mews; he also received a great number of manors and estates in reward for his service.

However, he was charged with treason by the Duke of Gloucester and although the king and queen personally knelt to beg for his pardon, he was executed on .

Bartholomew's only son, Giles, died without issue and so Lyonshall became the property of his sister and co-heir Maud; women were often substantial landowners in the Middle Ages.

She married John de Vere, 7th Earl of Oxford and one of the heroes of the Battle of Crecy in 1346.

Leave a Reply